Thursday, September 25, 2008

100% Futures

I went to 100% Design at Earl's Court and some of the most exciting things of the show are from 100% Futures that showcased works by emerging designers.
Stephen Johnson is one of my faves, his porcelain and brass figurines (top 2 pics) remind me of Barnaby Barford's, whimsical, nostalgic and humorous.
Benjamin Hubert's clean designs and bold colors were definitely the crowd's favorites. How clever is the umbrella fruit bowl?!!!
It made me smile when I saw the Hong Kong Polytechnic University School of Design booth. The designs derived from everyday object that were ubiquitous in Hong Kong in the 70's, like the folding stools made into an elongated stool, the funny "Red A" plastic tub and plungers made into a chair, and coffee table made of bamboo dim sum steamers!
I love when people incorporate knitting and embroidery into product design, like this logs seat by Lee Borthwick.

1 comment:

Anna said...

oh! I'm envious that you got to go to 100% Futures...sounds like you had a fun trip!